Wardensville Garden Market is a nonprofit social enterprise whose mission is to expand opportunities for Appalachian youth so they grow to reach their greatest potential. We create living classrooms to provide real-life learning experiences and generate proceeds that are 100% reinvested back into the program. In 2016, Farms Work Wonders launched the Wardensville Garden Market project—an organic farm, market, and bakery that has currently created over 100 local, good-paying jobs with most held by local high school students, and we continue to grow.
We are seeking a Value-Added Specialist for our production kitchen to create and execute value-added seasonal recipes, train and manage a crew, create standard operating procedures for the production kitchen, and work closely with the farm team. For this new role, we are looking for an organized leader, team player and seasoned manager who is also passionate about the farm-to-table local food movement. The successful candidate is up for the challenge of being involved from the ground up in creating a solid foundation from which to build on and train a production team. They will have experience with systems and procedures and upholding a high level of professionalism. This candidate will set and achieve goals for their team, while maintaining a creative and collaborative culture.
This position will work closely with the Culinary Operations team and Agriculture Director.
- Embrace the farm mentality of ‘no waste’
- Work closely with the farm team
- Create seasonal value-added products with farm produce
- Ensure consistency of recipes and mise-en-place by using recipe manual
- Ensure Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for each position in the kitchen are being properly carried out
- Hire staff and manage schedule
- Ensure high standards are maintained and goals met in terms of budgeting (ie: labor, ingredients, costs)
- Create seasonal value-added production calendar
- Train value-added production team
- Create value-added recipes and SOPs for farm produce (ie: fermenting, canning, preserving, making salsas, sauces, etc)
- Ability to create Back of House systems and train a BOH team. You have been in charge of training a team, setting up operations and maintaining systems.
- Passion for food and farm-to-table mentality. Must have an interest in local food movement, embrace ‘no-waste’ attitude, be well versed in preserving/canning seasonal produce.
- Ability to stay calm under stressful situations. You’ve worked in professional kitchens and know how to keep your cool in front of staff and customers.
- Passion for working in a start-up environment. You will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Inclusive, engaging and collaborative leadership style. You know how to motivate, inspire and support people of diverse backgrounds and ages to meet high expectations.
- Desire to move to rural America, aka Wardensville, WV (if not already here).
- 5+ years working in professional kitchen environments
- 5+ years living in Appalachia or rural America
- Experience working in start-ups
- Youth development experience
- Sustainable or organic farming experience
- Tourism or retail experience
- Culinary trained
Salary commensurate with experience. The range we anticipate is: $31,000-$35,000. In addition to salary, we offer Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, monthly stipends, and the opportunity to brainstorm and work with other farm nerds.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, customers, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and anyone else we work with.
The application period opens on January 19, 2021. All applications must be received by February 28, 2021.