Summary: Philanthropy West Virginia is a professional membership organization for grantmaking foundations, corporate giving programs, United Ways, philanthropists, and professional advisors who are based in and/or grantmaking in West Virginia. Our focus is on:
- Delivery of high-quality, cost-effective, and relevant programming and services that meet the needs of a diverse base of philanthropic organizations and individuals with respect to size, type, staff capacity, funding interest areas, and styles of learning to advance best practices, knowledge, build operational/grantmaking capacity, and maximize their impact
- Connecting philanthropy across West Virginia and nationally for sharing, learning, and collaborations to address issues and create lasting solutions
- Serving as an objective partner and convener that brings together members, partners, and others to create stronger communities and a knowledgeable, collaborative, effective, and sustainable philanthropic sector
- Advancing the growth of philanthropy by engaging new funders to our leadership organization and sharing expertise/resources for a unified voice and wider impact
- Promoting through public policy and advocacy the work, priorities, and needs of West Virginia funders and nonprofits with our local, regional, state and federal government officials.
Philanthropy West Virginia’s Administrative & Communications Assistant plays a critical role in the organization and advancement of its mission. The Assistant works with and reports to the Directors of Operations & Revenue and works with President & CEO and the Program & Engagement Coordinator, all staff, member organizations, board of directors, and committees. The person serving in this role will be an active and results-oriented participant in Philanthropy WV’s staff team to ensure full completion of tasks, projects, and keeping the organization’s momentum going that serves our members and priority areas.
The position responsibilities include:
A. Primary Responsibilities:
Member & Partner Services:
- Serve as a professional and hospitable first line of communication and greeter for all callers, visitors, board of directors, members, and partners.
- Assist President and other staff to develop meeting plans, agendas, and other necessary documents and provide assistance by taking meeting minutes for working groups, member programs, and committee/board meetings
- Respond to member and staff requests in a timely fashion
- Distribute communication/correspondence between leaders/committees/volunteers of Philanthropy WV as well as
- Maintain and regularly update member lists, membership database, partner directories, list serves and mailing lists.
- Works with Program & Engagement Coordinator to draft and send annual dues renewal mailing out in December of each year
- Compile new member kits and distribute as necessary, prepare copies, and identify updates to marketing materials
Administrative & Operations:
Perform general clerical duties to include, but not limited to:
- Order and store all office supplies, filing, copying, scanning, and bulk mailings.
- Maintain necessary records/office filing system, both electronic and hard copy. Ensure monthly digital back up of systems
- Coordinate the schedule of the President & CEO
- Effectively manage and send out direct mails and e-communication campaigns
- Retrieve and process mail in compliance with the accounting policies & procedures process
- Use and ensure smooth functioning of all office equipment, including copier, printers, phones, camera, and organization
- Maintain all software programs including, Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Quickbooks, and web content management system. Work with providers to troubleshoot any problems.
- Maintain an active web-based video conferencing system and other teleconference options for staff, committee, board,
and/or membership meetings or programs.
Finances & Accounting:
- Coordinates processes for deposits, payables, and financial reporting with eCratchit system in compliance with our Accounting Policies and Procedures process
- Preparing donor charitable thank yous/gift receipts for signature and sending upon completion
- Prepares invoices and monitors A/R collections for event registrations and program sponsorships
- Monitoring the budget and securing the best economic options for the organization for office supplies, event venues, etc.
- Oversee backups of all records and computer systems, virus protection, etc.
- Updates website weekly in partnership with other key staff to ensure current and accurate information on programs and services
- Respond to all inquiries and provide information, materials, regarding Philanthropy WV or program partner to those who call, email or visit our office
- Be an active participant of the Philanthropy WV TEAM to ensure completion of all tasks and keeping the organization’s
momentum moving forward
- Collaborate on projects to ensure high quality program and product delivery
Some Communication Assistance:
- Works with Communication Fellow, Program & Engagement Coordinator and President & CEO to plan out communication strategy reaching internal and external audiences through both print and electronic communications tools
- Coordinates our social media outreach and communications (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn)
- Assists in creating/disseminating unique and effective communication about programs, partnerships, and member news
General Office Tasks:
Other duties will be assigned, as deemed essential by the President & CEO and Director of Operations & Revenue, to ensure smooth operation of the organization.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with the philanthropy and/or nonprofit sector(s) and able to work in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. The right candidate will be highly-motivated, results-oriented, self-starter, and able to manage several projects at once. Other qualifications include:
- Minimum of an associate’s degree
- Minimum of at least two years of relevant work experience in the philanthropy and/or nonprofit sector is preferred. Members services and accounting experience is beneficial.
- Proficiency with data entry, website maintenance, and general administrative tasks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and online systems. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Mail Chimp/Constant Contact, database management, and CRM software is helpful. Ability, willingness, and follow through to learn new software as required.
- Experience and skills in scheduling and setting up for meeting logistics, trainings, events, and various forms of communications is helpful.
- Able to anticipate what needs to be done; demonstrates a strong sense of purpose and takes the initiative to follow through and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills: tactful and mature, allowing for effective interface with members, staff, board members, and other stakeholders.
- Highly motivated and flexible, with the ability to work independently and follow tasks through to completion as well as participate as an effective member of a small office team.
- Professional attitude and appearance. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional car travel may be necessary throughout West Virginia. Valid driver’s license with necessary insurance required. There might be occasional day and/or overnight travel within the organization’s service region or trainings programs nationally (no more than 2 to 4 times per year).
This position is in the $30K-34K/annual salary range for full-time. Full time employees would have access to a generous benefits package including: health, dental, and life insurance, holiday schedule, PTO after trial service period, and resources for professional development associated with your role in the organization.
About Philanthropy WV: Philanthropy West Virginia connects the Mountain State’s diverse network of philanthropic funders. We strive to inspire community-driven solutions across the state reaching both urban centers and the most rural areas in Appalachia. This advances our mission of “Strengthening Philanthropy in the Mountain State.” Philanthropy WV is committed to an inclusive and diverse team, working environment, and members network. Philanthropy West Virginia is an equal opportunity employer.
The application period opens on January 19, 2021. All applications must be received by February 28, 2021.