Coalfield Development is looking for a Professional Development Coordinator who will fulfill three main functions:
- Ensure professional development opportunities for employees and partners are assessed, scheduled, conducted and evaluated for effectiveness.
- Coordinate Coalfield’s Workforce Readiness and Professional Success (WRAPS) initiative by finding and selecting community partners to provide mentorship, education/certifications/professional certificates, and opportunities for on-the-job training experiences.
- Develop and coordinate an employer network to increase job placement options for Coalfield graduates and WRAPS trainees
Coalfield Development is a nonprofit organization based in Wayne West Virginia and primarily serving Wayne, Lincoln, Mingo and McDowell Counties. Our mission is to support a family of social enterprises that inspire the courage to grow, the creativity to transform perceived liabilities into assets, and the community needed to cultivate real opportunity in Appalachia through mentorship, education, and employment. Our three core capabilities are developing community-based real estate projects, developing and incubating employment-based social enterprises and providing personal, professional and academic development opportunities for people who are engaging in the workforce for the first time or re-engaging after a period of unemployment.
As the Professional Development Coordinator at Coalfield Development a typical day might include the following:
- Working with social enterprise directors to identify training needs, find training resources, and schedule trainings for their staff and others in the community who may benefit from it
- Reaching out to employers to ensure our employee’s training matches their needs
- Cultivating an employer network by contacting employers with information about new employees and to follow up regarding employees already placed
- Emailing with WRAPS partners to provide support, answer questions, and evaluate Trainees’ progress
- Meeting with Personal Development Coordinator, Development Coordinator and Chief Development Officer to set weekly goals, solve problems, and celebrate successes
THIS JOB WOULD BE A GREAT FIT FOR YOU IF:
- If you are passionate about helping people unlock their full potential, power, and purpose regardless of their background, education, or socioeconomic status, and want to see employers become more engaged with creating an economy that works for everyone
- You believe that education is a key to unlocking opportunity for people
- You have the gumption to identify challenges, the grit to take them on, and the grace to continuously learn and grow from experience
- You exhibit an entrepreneurial mindset where limitations are seen as opportunities for creativity to flourish
- You have a demonstrated capacity to balance and prioritize competing demands while exhibiting a high level of professionalism
- You communicate clearly and professionally, naturally seek and find opportunities for partnerships, and are organized enough to turn these opportunities into strategic alignments
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 1+ experience in a job that requires high levels of interaction with a variety of people
- You have a good sense of humor, a willingness to learn, an inquisitive mind, a willingness to innovate, and the ability to work independently.
AS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR YOU WILL:
- Implement training curriculum and coordinate training programs for Crew Members in consultation with enterprise directors including: identify training resources; schedule specific trainings; assure training quality; publicize trainings as necessary; conduct training evaluations; update employee training records
- Develop an employer network to identify employment opportunities for Coalfield Graduates and WRAPS Trainees once they advance out of our programs, including: identify employers’ training priorities and develop training opportunities for Coalfield employees related to these skills; develop networking opportunities between employers and Coalfield Graduates and Trainees
- Develop placement opportunities and ensure Coalfield Graduates and Trainees are prepared for interviews with updated resumes, appropriate attire, and strong interviewing skills; follow up with employers/employees after placement to evaluate the experience, offer support, and record outcomes
- Coordinate and Support WRAPS cohorts including: identify partners to support a cohort which might include institutions of higher learning, local community-based mentorship organizations, organizations focused on workers in transition, trainers and employers in a variety of sectors; host meetings to explain the WRAPS system/ensure a balance of work, certification and personal development; create MOUs to clarify partner roles; support recruitment of WRAPS Trainees; ensure they are on-boarded as Coalfield Employees; monitor progress and provide support and guidance with weekly check-ins
Location: This position could be based in Charleston, WV or Huntington, WV.
Salary Range: The compensation range for this position is between $32,000-$40,000. In addition, Coalfield Development provides great benefits including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, and paid vacation and sick leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Coalfield is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, handicap, veteran or family status, or on any other status or condition protected by applicable federal or state laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.