For generations, Appalachians have powered America. We are determined to continue through the 21st century, with clean energy that empowers our neighbors and renews our communities. Solar Holler is a West Virginian social enterprise based in Shepherdstown and Huntington that is dedicated to making sure that West Virginia continues to power America through the 21st Century. To do this, we are building a renewable energy industry in our state from scratch—including developing the workforce, the supply chains, and the financing tools that bring solar within reach of those who need it most.
At Solar Holler, we relentlessly pursue innovative approaches that make solar the most affordable choice for our neighbors across Appalachia. We are a rare breed—a team of talented electricians & roofers, project managers, policy & financing experts, and veteran community organizers – all charged with crafting beautiful solar systems that enable Appalachians to power their lives. Our very first project won Interfaith Power & Light’s National Renewable Role Model award for our first-of-its-kind crowdfunding program with non-profits. We use our deep knowledge of energy policy and financing to build programs that work—even in coal country.
We are incredibly proud of our work, and feel a deep responsibility to do it right and well. A just transition to clean energy for Appalachia will not happen on its own—we must lead. We care about the groups and families we work with, and we always approach projects with their needs in focus. There is no cookie cutter project; every program and project we build we view as a work of art. Our efforts have been noticed: We’ve been featured in The Guardian and on NPR; the West Virginia Environmental Council has named Solar Holler its 2017 “Green Business of the Year”, and Southern Living Magazine named our founder one of its “50 Southerners of the Year”.
The Solar Fellow will play a key role in driving Solar Holler’s mission of building a 21st Century energy industry in Appalachia. The Solar Guide will help families and businesses understand that solar and cutting-edge efficiency technology are within reach, even in West Virginia, while developing project proposals.
As a Solar Fellow at Solar Holler, a typical day might include the following:
- Gathering client information and understanding what a client’s needs are in order to craft a proposal that is just right for them
- Confidence in knowledge and ability while refraining from arrogance
- Ability to articulate complex concepts into everyday understanding for homeowners
- Flexibility to handle straightforward, small scale residential project to mid-sized commercial and non-profit projects
- Comfort with technical aspects of solar systems and energy efficiency
- Thriving in a fast-paced and exciting environment • Effective communication over the phone and over email
- Managing data in our CRM system
- Attention to detail in effectively managing a portfolio of several customers at one time
- Camaraderie, teamwork and joy. We need to love what we do, work well with our teammates, and view each project as a work of art
This job might be a good fit for you if:
- You thrive while working with everyone from CEOs to the machine operator
- You enjoy working in a fast paced team atmosphere
- You have a passion for doing as much good for as many as possible.
To land this gig, you need to have:
A positive, enthusiastic personality – this is absolutely key
- Strong belief in Solar Holler’s mission of repowering Appalachian communities with renewable energy
- Four year college degree
- Digitally savvy including social media, digital advertising, and CRM tools
- Outgoing and willing to make first contact
- Comfortable shifting in the course of one conversation between big picture ideas and nitty-gritty details, including discussing everything from roofing materials to state energy policy to financial programs.
- Effective time management skills and detailed orientation are essential
- Solar industry experience is a plus but not required
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic business environment and shift gears as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to doing as much good for as many people as possible
In addition to competitive salary and profit sharing packages, Solar Holler provides our employees:
- 3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick)
- 10 paid holidays annually
- Stock options for all employees
- Health care and/or child care subsidy
Solar Holler of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.Apply Now